August 15, 2022
Dear Salida Union School District Families,
On behalf of our staff at Salida Union School District, we are looking forward to a great year as we focus on high levels of learning and ensuring a safe, supportive, and welcoming learning environment for all of our students and staff.
The district will focus on foundational goals to support our families in their desire to learn best practices and more information on supporting their children with academics, social skills, mental health, and wellness. Meanwhile, we continue to be vigilant of COVID-19 and continue to implement mitigation measures. Below you will find the COVID-19 protocols that are currently in place for the 2022-23 school year:
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) strongly recommends that all persons wear masks in K-12 indoor settings, with consideration of exemptions per CDPH face mask guidance. It is recommended, but not required, for students and staff to wear a face covering while indoors on Salida District campuses.
Students with Symptoms:
- Students who develop new, unexplained symptoms should not return to campus until it is clear that symptoms are mild and improving or are due to a non-infectious cause (e.g., allergies). This includes waiting until 24 hours have passed since resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Additionally, if symptoms are concerning for COVID-19, it is strongly recommended that students wear a mask and get tested immediately.
- Students will follow CDPH recommendations for retesting and/or isolating if results are positive.
Positive COVID Case:
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 must remain at home for at least 5 days from the start of symptoms or after the date of first positive test if no symptoms.
- Parents shall report positive COVID-19 cases to the school office.
- Isolation can end and students may return to school if symptoms are not present and/or are resolving, and a diagnostic specimen collected on day 5 or later has a negative test result. Students are strongly encouraged to wear face-coverings around others for a total of 10 days.
- If unable to test, choosing not to test, or testing positive on Day 5 (or later), isolation can end after Day 10 if fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- If a student’s test on day 5 (or later) is positive, isolation can end and the student may return to school after day 10 if they are fever-free for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medications.
- Students may continue to attend school whether they are exposed at school or elsewhere as long as they are asymptomatic.
- Exposed students, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status, should get tested for COVID-19 with at least one diagnostic test (antigen or PCR) within 3-5 days of last exposure, unless they had COVID-19 within the last 90 days and are asymptomatic. Masking around others for 10 days after exposure is strongly recommended.
CDPH strongly recommends that all eligible individuals get vaccinated against COVID-19 and remain up-to-date to protect themselves and reduce transmission of the virus. However, at this time, no COVID-19 vaccines are required to attend school.
Home Testing Kits:
The state has provided school districts with another large shipment of home test kits. Specifics regarding the distribution of these test kits will be shared by your school site. Learn more https://testing.covid19.ca.gov/school-testing/